Monday, June 8, 2009

the first moments

SATURDAY, JUNE 6, 2009 3:40 p.m.
(Sometimes I will write on my computer without internet & post them later)

Hujambo from Arusha!

I can't even think where to begin right now. We arrived last night and already it's been such an awesome experience. Pelle (our on the ground coordinator) is the sweetest. When he saw me at the airport, he said "You sent me picture!" and gave me a huge smile and hug. I slept under the mosquito net last night which was actually kinda fun. I got to tuck myself in after crawling under an opening. I'm pretty tired today because I couldn't sleep till 2 a.m. and awoke at 5 a.m. from roosters crowing, dogs whimpering, and the call to prayer. It reminded me of Turkey. The apartment is CHARMING and I've already taken pictures.

I just got my Tanzanian cell phone. I'm not quite sure how it all works yet, but I know it's free (for me) if anyone calls my phone, and free for the other person if I call them.

The pace of life is so much slower here... I mean, you could almost say that the motto here is "Hakuna Matata" ~ strangers on the street greet us with "mambo, hakuna matata," literally "what's up, no worries." It's quite amazing to settle into such a lifestyle, almost a relief.

Jambo Arusha.

our kitchen~
out the window
my place of slumber
~ d r e a m s ~

No comments:

Post a Comment