Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mosquito: Hapana, sitaki.

5:25 a.m.
I have woken up to the sound of a mosquito flying around inside my net, jolting me out of bed. I snuggled back in for a few minutes once I thought it might be gone, but the bugger was still there. It is so quiet outside that I could hear its buzz all too clearly in my ears. I don't have to wake up for 4 more hours but now I am too anxious to get back in bed. Even if they aren't inside the net (which hasn't happened before until now), you can hear them buzzing around outside the net if you aren't asleep. And I am no longer asleep.

Explanation of post title: There's a phrase we learned in Swahili school to keep street vendors at bay: "Hapana, sitaki," or "No, I do not want." If you speak in the native language, people will respect you.


6:55 a.m.
The whole incident made me think (as I am still awake and left with my thoughts and the sounds of Arusha waking up): You can put up a net, build a wall, "live in a bubble" - anything that protects yourself from something on the outside, literally or metaphorically - and still, that something always gets in. What does that say about building the wall?

No comments:

Post a Comment