Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Jónsi !!!

bedside*
Life can be so magical ... !!*
Let me tell you a story.
For the past 4 months, I've been obsessed with Jónsi. He's the lead singer of Sigur Rós, an Icelandic band that I absolutely ADORE. Possibly my favorite band of all time, if I had to choose. What I loved about Sigur Rós is that I could never understand the actual words (I've heard that half of it is a make-believe language anyway) but I felt like I could . . . I've always felt like I could FEEL it, like it was a language more eloquent than any *real* ones with concrete sentence structure and complex vocabulary. Recently, Jónsi released a solo album called "Go" *** it's a little more upbeat and incorporates actual English. At first, I wasn't so sure I would like it at all, but eventually I got hooked. I've listened to this album at least 40 times & one of the special things is that I've played it almost every single time I've painted anybody. It's like a sudden flood of positive energy, which I embrace so much!!!
In any case, the news is that I am going to see Jónsi LIVE!!!!!!! I found out he was coming to play two shows in Italy, one in Rome & one in Ferrara. I was in shock. I had to get tickets... I had to see him! Walked to the box office with Patrick and within 60 seconds, they were in my hands. It was that easy. . . Now this might not seem like a HUGE deal, but for me, at this moment in my life, loving music, having been singing Jónsi in my head and out loud at any given hour, feeling these waves of positive energy through just recording........it's just going to be so magical live and I am excited beyond belief. . . . Wouldn't that be amazing if he let me paint stars onto him? ? ? (*Giggles*)

This is one of my favorite songs by him. (I'm not allowed to embed it here, but please click the link to listen!!) It's called "GO DO" and it is alive with sounds and colors and bird noises and eeeee! It is so contagious!!! And now I have a new reason to love him, because I can understand some of the words and for the most part, I embrace them whole-heartedly... one of my favorites being :
"WE SHOULD ALWAYS KNOW THAT WE CAN DO ANYTHING"

jonsiiiiiii

And it's true. ANYTHING. We can do anything !!!!!!!!!!!! Put your mind to it, summon up positive energy, find the means to do it . . . it's not as hard as it seems. There are a million things we could be thinking about, half of them negative and depressing and upsetting. . . . it's all about what you choose to put your mind to. :)


* * *

In other news, I found this little guy on a shelf in my apartment here.
A little piece of home!! Abandoned... "orphaned!" I immediately put him next to my bed, so he could have a little attention and some love. Coincidentally, I just read that my friend Esther Jeohn (whom I spent last summer in Tanzania with!) has a new cactus friend too!! Mine has no name (yet?), right now he's just a pleasant little addition to my bedside table * making my room an even more happy place to live! :)
cactus orphan!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE JÓNSI SO MUCH!!!!!!!!! I saw him live in Berkeley a couple months ago..and let me tell you...his music has definitely changed my life too. It's amazing and I feel the same way about the positive energy it brings to my life. I think I'll play Go Do or Boy Lilikoi right now haha. I like Sigur Ros too but I think I might like Jónsi solo even more :)

    I'm glad you are getting to see his show. It is seriously stunning! I think I uploaded some videos to my facebook if you want to see what you're in for!!

    <3 u chippy :)

    -daley (wink wink)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHHH HOW COOL IS THAT?!
    jonsi, yes - but my cactus has an italian sista/brother/errrrr cousin. :D i misses you, but it makes me feel better that we have something coincidentally in common. just shows you how connected the world is (even with something as trivial as desert plants).


    -e

    ReplyDelete